The Obama Foundation Scholarship Programme is accepting applications for the 2024-2025 programme.
Columbia University's Obama Foundation Fellowship Program brings together emerging leaders from the United States and around the world who have demonstrated a commitment to finding solutions to challenges in their communities and countries. Fellows spend a fully-funded 9-month residency on the Columbia World Projects campus, deepening their knowledge and skills and building new capabilities and networks to accelerate their impact.
The goal of the program is to help Obama Foundation Fellows take the relationships and skills they have developed during the program and apply them for the benefit of their communities, countries, and regions. Obama Foundation Fellows are expected to remain engaged with the Obama Foundation and Columbia World Projects after the conclusion of the programme.
- Researchers participate in an immersive programme that brings together academic, skills-based and experiential learning, designed by Columbia University in consultation with the Obama Foundation. Key elements of the programme include:
- A weekly seminar that runs throughout the academic year and explores issues related to major global trends, including inequality, technological developments, the diffusion of power, population movements and climate change.
- Personal and professional development workshops designed to build practical skills to enhance researchers' ability to lead. Past workshop topics include conflict management and resolution, public speaking, data analysis and interpretation, and resilience.
- An experiential learning component that engages researchers in the work of Columbia World Projects.
- Audited courses that offer scholars the flexibility to select and enroll in up to two graduate-level courses each semester at Columbia.
- A thought leadership lecture series that introduces researchers to senior practitioners from the NGO community, philanthropy, government and international organisations to broaden researchers' networks and perspectives to help them advance their work.
- Partnership with a Columbia educational consultant selected for his expertise in the field to provide researchers with new ideas and perspectives to inform their work.
- Significant opportunities for researchers to contribute to the intellectual life of the campus and be exposed to different perspectives by engaging with the Columbia University community.
- Monthly allowance to help cover living expenses in New York.
- A furnished studio within walking distance of Columbia University.
- All tuition fees and fees for a maximum of four courses at Columbia University.
- Basic medical, dental and life insurance for the duration of the programme in New York.
- Air travel to and from the country of origin and all activities related to the programme.
- The Obama Foundation Fellowship Program at Columbia University seeks emerging leaders in the United States and around the world who meet the following criteria:
- Are emerging leaders who have made significant contributions to their field and are now at a "decisive moment" in their career.
- Have a proven commitment to service and leadership within a community, region or country, coupled with a demonstrated commitment to return to those communities after completing the programme and apply their training, skills and enhanced relationships on a long-term basis for the benefit of those communities.
- Fluency in English (verbal, written and spoken)
- Have the ability and desire to positively shape the future of their community
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, community focus, hope, courage, imagination, strategy, accountability, integrity and resilience.
- Note: Priority will be given to applicants who are not enrolled at Columbia University. The scholarship is a full-time residential program at Columbia and cannot be undertaken at the same time as a degree program.
For more information, please visit the Obama Foundation .